Buying a new home and relocating the family can be a major expense and hassle. Besides, many people love where they live, they just need a little more room. If you find yourself in this situation, then you might want to consider house extensions instead.
Benefits of a house extension
A house extension can offer the following benefits:
- More space for a growing family to expand into
- The ability to remove dividing walls and expand rooms in the existing house,
- Existing rooms able to be reallocated for better purposes
- The potential to increase the valuation of your property
- Can be cheaper than selling, buying a new house and relocating
If these benefits sound attractive to you, then the next step is to find great a great builder. Luckily, you’ve come to the right place!
We’re home extension builders
With over 120 years of combined experience between them, the home extension builders here at Bushewood Building Company can help to bring your new ideas to life with ease.
We’re renowned for creating beautiful home extensions in Perth and all across regional Western Australia.
All of our builders have vast experience as carpenters, but these days we also specialise in working with many materials including wood, steel, colorbond, concrete and stone. Whatever type of extension you have planned, we can help.
We will work with you hand in hand to design and build an extension that is best suited to your family’s needs and budget.
Types of extensions
There are many different ways to extend a home, create space and make better use of your land. Some of the more common house extensions include:
Undertaking a house extensions project can initially seem quite overwhelming. Especially knowing where to start. But don’t worry, we are here to help.
The house extension process is usually made up of the following steps:
- A site visit to assess what’s physically possible and to assess the current structure
- A consultation to discuss your house extension ideas and associated cost
- Involving an architect or draftsperson (we can help if you don’t have one already)
- Formulating home extension plans for what you had in mind
- Submitting building approval applications to ensure the plans comply with the required local laws and regulations
- You may or may not be required to vacate the premises during the build, so finding a temporary rental may be needed
- Depending on the build we will organise any complimentary trades if required
- Taking delivery of the materials and supplies
- The construction work itself
- Handover of the finished result
How much does a home extension cost?
House extension costs in Australia can vary widely depending on your location (metropolitan vs regional) and the type of extension being built.
On average, a rough guide for most extensions would be around $2000-$4000 per square metre of extension. The costs are on the higher side for double story extensions.
For a more accurate quote for your particular extension, simply request a free quote.
Regulations & approvals
It is important to check with your local council regarding what rules and regulations exist for your area. In general, once plans are drawn up by an architect or draftsmen, they are submitted to the local council for building approval.
If you would like to view what is required from a regulation standpoint, you can begin by checking the guide to the building approvals process in Western Australia.
Modern extensions on old houses
The other thing to bear in mind is how to tie the extension into the existing house. Sometimes matching similar features and materials can make the home extension flow seamlessly with the old.
Other times, you may want a stark contrast as part of a stand out feature.
Either way, Bushewood Builders are experts at ensuring the new and old work beautifully together.
Renovations & additions
Occasionally people want to add an extension as well as renovate the interior of the existing home at the same time. This might involve removing dividing walls to make an open plan living kitchen and dining area. It might involve a kitchen renovation that makes the most of the view of a new rear home extension.
Whatever your needs, be sure to talk to one of our consultants. We pride ourselves on being able to bring our customers ideas to life, both on time and on budget.